December sojourn in Goa (part-2)
Places to see in South Goa:
We all know that Goa is largely famous for its exquisite beaches and without doubt, is the most
sought after tourist destination in India. There are more than 36 beaches in Goa, each one is known for its own distinctiveness. During our trip this season, we mostly covered the South Goa beaches and discovered that its circuit begins from Margao, the second most important city in Goa and connects Goa to all major cities in the coastline like Mumbai, Mangalore, and Kochi.
After much thought and deliberation, we zeroed in on a few popular beaches to be visited to in South Goa. So…Here’s my share! These are the 10 happening beaches in South Goa
- Colva Beach
- Benaulim Beach
- Palolem Beach
- Varca Beach
- Arossim beach
- Majorda Beach
- Agonda Beach
- Bogmalo Beach
- Mobor Beach
- Polem beach
Our excitement knew no bounds at the very mention of ‘Beach’! We carried the required beach stuff like towels, flip-flops, swimwear, cameras (much needed) and off we went!
1) Colva Beach– Colva is a small village in South Goa on the shores of the Arabian sea. Two kms further ahead from Colva is Benaulim. With 20 km of virgin white sands, palm-fringed, and sun-drenched beaches, Colva is the most loved beach of the Goans. Moreover, Colva beach is not only a perfect place for swimming (the sea waves are not so much high) but also a center for night parties which are organized right on the sandy beach. While we took a stroll on the Colva beach, we happened to see silver carpets of mackerels shimmering on the golden sands, put up for drying. What an amazing sight it was! Roger’s and Leda lounge are the popular beach shacks on the shores of Colva offering yummy seafood. Vegetarians need not panic as restaurants here serves a variety of veg.food too! This place will fit those who like to spend their days lying on the beach under the sunbeams and partying all night long.
2) Benaulim Beach– Less than 2 kms south of Colva lies the more tranquil beach of Benaulim. It
is one of the few places in Goa where one can get a glimpse of handicrafts, typical to this
area. The ladies in our group even bought some pretty looking hand made bracelets from
the beach vendors. Benaulim brings lots of beach activities ranging from water sports
(parasailing, snorkeling, and windsurfing ) to eateries and other shopping activities.
During our 10 days stay in south Goa, we too enjoyed parasailing, motor boat ride
and dolphin sighting to name a few. The shops on this beach also offer furniture, Indian &
Kashmiri handicrafts and ornaments. There are a number of beachside restaurants where
one can gorge on yummy seafood. Johncy’s and Pedro’s are the two popular food joints on
Benaulim beach. Nightlife at Benaulim is quite happening. At night, the beach looks very
pretty with twinkling stars in the sky and gentle moonlight bestowing the place, amazing
sight! Music, dance and drinking chilled beer are the main attractions of nightlife in Benaulim.
3) Palolem Beach– With a 1.5 kilometer stretch of white powdery sand, palm groves,
a picturesque bay, and a small green island, Palolem beach offers a breathtaking view ot the
Arabian sea. This beach is also called a fishing beach. Fishermen often venture into the sea
to catch fish from this point. There are a few shacks on the shore, selling seafood, souvenirs
and bright, colorful clothes. One can hire taxis and auto-rickshaws to reach Palolem beach
from Margao. One can also rent a bicycle from a number of places in the village and set out
to whichever way their inner compass is pointing. There are regular buses too from various
nearby villages to Palolem.
To the North of Palolem beach is Butterfly beach and to the South is Patnem, both
exuding an ideal allure. For nature lovers, Cotigao Wildlife Sanctuary offers a visual treat. It
is located at a short distance from Palolem. The sanctuary boasts an array of exotic towering
trees and other tropical plants as well as protected wildlife. During our visit, we saw a lot of foreigners lingering here. Most of them can be seen sunbathing, listening to music or simply take a stroll on the sand. This place has a good nightlife. One can go to Neptune point for a silent noise party and enjoy music on their headphones and dance till the music ends. Dropadi , Magic Italy and Sea breeze are few popular restaurants in Palolem. It is a perfect place to watch the sunset!
4) Varca Beach– Amongst all the beautiful beaches in Goa, Varca beach is the one that holds a
special place for every beach lover. This is because Varca beach is relatively quiet and
peaceful. Situated in the south Goa, Varca beach simply adorns the entire Goa with its 10
km stretch of marvelous white sand and sparkling waves. Wake up early and go for a long
walk on the beach, watch the seabirds and crabs and don’t miss to view the sunrise!
Varca is a breath of fresh air to the soul and a wonderful place to refresh &
recharge. While you are here, stay at Costa Holidays as it is very close to Varca beach. The
Varca beach is not as commercialized and crowded as other major beaches of Goa. Instead,
the quiet beach attracts visitors without fail since it is less crowded and cleaner than other big beaches.
The Varca beach is ideal for lazing around and exploring local shacks. You can hire
a boat and go out boating in the sea with an expert guide. You can also spot dolphins if you
are lucky enough. There are numerous beach shacks offering a variety of Goan dishes and
seafood at reasonable prices. One can also do some shopping therapy here. From a variety
of funky jewelry made of seashells to colorful hats, clothes, bags and other eye-catchy
items are available in the hut shaped shops.
5) Arossim beach– Presents a long and white stretch of golden sand, lapped at by clear blue
water and backed by a dense forest of palms. The beach is heaven not only for the party
and leisure seekers but also for the adventure seekers. This beach offers various water
sports activities viz: water surfing and sailing. There are plenty of eating options to choose
from at and around the Arossim beach. To the hungry beach goer’s delight, there are quite a
few beach shacks that offer fresh and delicious seafood. Just indulge!